Now you’re a resident, and you need to apply for a social security number to work legally here in Spain. This process is very simple. I’ll lay it out in a few easy steps.
- You must find your closest social security office. You can do this by searching on their website. Choose your comunidad and then select your provincia. Click on Administraciones de la Seguridad Social and you’ll be able to see where the SS offices are in your province along with their addresses and contact information.
- You may have to make an appointment depending on what office you’re at. It’s always a safer option to make an appointment instead of going in hoping someone may help you. You can do this all online. Put in your personal information, choose presentaciones solicitudes y documentos and then check registro de documentos. You’ll have to go through a few more steps to finish the process.
- Get your documents together.
- TA.1 form plus a copy (fill out page 2 – and note that you’re technically being assigned a SS number AND affiliating yourself so it doesn’t matter which of those boxes you check in DATOS RELATIVOS A LA SOLICITUD)
- Passport or TIE plus a copy (I went with both and a copy of both just to be safe)
- Present your documents. You’ll walk out of there with a piece of paper with your SS number on it and all your information.
It’s that simple! Once you’re done, you can use that number to legally work here in Spain. You will also need it to have access to the public health system here.